“Employment Authorization Document” (EAD) or EAD card or “Work Permit” is a document issued by the USCIS to an alien/ non-citizen which entitles him to legally work in the U.S. for any employer. What makes it different from other work visas like H, I, O-1, or L-1 is that persons with these sponsored work visas can work legally for the sponsoring employer only.

Eligibility for applying for EAD by filing Form I-765 is diverse and includes many criteria like nationality (very small number of nations qualify), special categories of students, political asylum seekers or refugees based on terms and conditions, dependents of E-1/E-2/E-3/L-1 visa holders, persons awaiting permanent residence etc.

Of course if you are a U.S. citizen you don’t need an EAD to work for any employer in the U.S., so is the case of Green Card holders or if you have a work visa sponsored by a specific employer.

Interim EAD may be obtained by some category of people id USCIS takes more than 90 days to reach a decision on your EAD application (given for a maximum period of 240 days).

Gavlin & Associates, P.C., New York is the best place you can think of approaching once you have decided to file application for EAD. You can also enquire on your eligibility for EAD if you provide us with all the needed info.

We will be extremely happy to assist and guide you through the whole process starting from filing Form I-765 to preparing all the needed documents and answering to the queries of USCIS officials.