Two types of visitor visas exist for U.S.

A) Business visitor visa (B1 visa category)- If you plan to visit the U.S. for some business meeting, business seminar or convention, for negotiation and signing of contracts, buy or sell real estate. Same is advised for foreign citizens accompanying those foreign businessmen or for those foreign citizens who accompany a U.S. businessman who is staying abroad and visits U.S. temporarily for a short period of time.

B) B2 Visa or Visa for Visits meant for Pleasure or Tourism or Medical Treatment- This type of visa is intended for those who want to visit friends or relatives in the U.S., for tourism or other pleasure purposes, for medical treatment, for amateur (which excludes receiving any payment) artists or musicians to participate in some musical or dance or any artistic competition or event, for amateur (which excludes receiving any payment) athletes or sportsmen to take part in some competition.
Some important facts about these visitor’s visas are described below.

The U.S. usually offers a 10 year, multiple entry visas for adult applicants. But 10 year visa doesn’t mean that you can go to the U.S. and stay for 10 years. It just implies that you have right to enter U.S. for visits which can last a period of time which is usually 6 months as many times as needed during a period of 10 years.

For the U.S. consular officers or USCIS every visa applicant is a potential migrant. So it is for the applicants to prove that they have genuine reasons to visit the U.S. and that they don’t have any intention of migration to the U.S. For example bank account statement for past 6 months or 1 year, industries, companies or businesses in the name of the applicant, ownership of significant real estate assets (land, apartments, house etc.), proof of permanent and valued jobs in one’s homeland, family left behind etc. are some documental proofs that can prove that one will return back to his home country after visit of U.S.A. Answers given to the consular officials during interview play big role in getting a U.S. visa granted.

Persons belonging to the 35 countries with which the U.S. has reciprocal agreement on visa free entry or visa on arrival also known as “Visa Waiver Program” (VWP) are allowed to enter the U.S. without a visa but on a machine readable passport.

Visa applications are to be made only at the U.S. consulate or embassy in your country of residence.

On entry of a foreigner on B1/B2 visa he or she will be usually granted permission to stay when you file Form I-94, which will usually be 6 months. But on expiry of this six months (3 weeks prior to expiry) you can file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change non-immigrant status with the required documents at the USCIS and thereby extend your stay for 6 more months or change your visa status from another category to B or vice versa.

Gavlin & Associates will guide and assist you in the best possible way to make your B1/B2 visa application a 100% success.