Employment Green cards or Green Cards attained by virtue of one’s employment.

There are many ways to get a green card based on one’s job or activity.

  1. Green card got by virtue of a permanent job in U.S. EB1, EB2 and EB3 are the Green card types included in this category. This requires the potential or present employer to get a Labor certification through Program Electronic Review Management (PERM) by which the employer has to get certification that the employment of his foreign employee doesn’t displace an American citizen from his job. Labor certification outcome is based on preference system with points for the type of job, availability of American citizens for that job and many other parameters and cut-off limit for Green cards issued to each nation.
  2. Obtaining Green card through self-petition (EB-2). This facility is available for some immigrant category like people with extraordinary ability, individuals granted with National interest waiver, etc.
  3. Green Card through Investment (EB-5). Some entrepreneurs/investors get Green card by virtue of the investment they make in U.S. market/economy which is bound to create significant amount of new U.S. jobs.
  4. Green cards given to people with special type of jobs (EB-4). Examples are: Translators of foreign language who worked for U.S. Armed forces or government abroad or in United States, Any International organization employee, Religious worker, Any Person who worked for U.S. government or armed forces abroad, etc.

Most cases of attaining green card by virtue of one’s permanent employment (E category) involve the procurement of Labor certification and filing of Form I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) for the employee by the employer.

After the above both steps get cleared the employee has to either apply for “adjustment of status” or go through “consular processing” depending on whether the employee is situated in the United States or outside.

3 types of Employment-based Green Cards are explained in concise below.

  • EB-1 These visas are meant for specific high profile category of people including Executives and Managers of MNC’s; outstanding researchers and professors; persons of extraordinary ability in sciences, arts and education etc. (in short priority workers).
  • EB-2 This category of green cards is for is for professionals with advanced higher studies degrees; people with “exceptional ability” in the sciences, business or arts.
  • EB-3 This category is for ‘professional workers’ with a bachelor’s degree not falling under the priority category; skilled workers and unskilled workers.
    Apart from all this the USCIS classifies all professions or jobs into preference categories (1, 2, and 3) based on the availability of American citizens for that job and importance of that job to national interests of the U.S.

Gavlin & Associates, P.C., NY is one of the best immigration lawyers specialized in Employment Green cards and we confidently invite prospective clients to fulfill their dreams along with our assistance and guidance.